Racing gate variation idea

Got an idea for a game or looking for inspiration? This is the place for you

Racing gate variation idea

Postby Icefall » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:36 pm

While working on my latest track I started thinking about ways to include checkpoints for races while keeping the terrain as uncluttered as possible. I wasn't able to accomplish this, but thought that the inclusion of invisible checkpoints would be a nice addition. They work just like normal checkpoints, just they are not visible on the track or terrain other than the appropriate marker on the mini-map. Not only would this be good for if you have a theme to your track that the current checkpoints don't quite fit into, but for off-road style courses it will add a touch of exploration since you won't see the physical gate guiding your travel.
Icefall

Re: Racing gate variation idea

Postby Adriana » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am

That's a good idea; we'll look into that. I like making the venues as pretty as possible too.
Adriana

Postby GoughGhan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:40 am

Adriana wrote:That's a good idea; we'll look into that. I like making the venues as pretty as possible too.

You just want all venues to be pink and have Hello Kitty everywhere.
The fish in my reef tank are plotting against me......

GoughGhan

Postby Adriana » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 am

hmmm, now that you mention it ...
Adriana

Postby Kyosuke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Icefall wrote:While working on my latest track I started thinking about ways to include checkpoints for races while keeping the terrain as uncluttered as possible. I wasn't able to accomplish this, but thought that the inclusion of invisible checkpoints would be a nice addition. They work just like normal checkpoints, just they are not visible on the track or terrain other than the appropriate marker on the mini-map. Not only would this be good for if you have a theme to your track that the current checkpoints don't quite fit into, but for off-road style courses it will add a touch of exploration since you won't see the physical gate guiding your travel.

Are you proposing having the option to get rid of just the gate model or both the gate model and the swirling effect in the center of the active/next check point?

How would you use these invisible check points as opposed to the current ones? You stated a clutter concern, so would having invisible check points make you inclined to use them more often than the current, visible ones (say using 20 invisible check points on a track you might otherwise have only used 10 visible ones on)?

Is the clutter concern primarily about the gate model or visual cues on non-active check points in general? In other words, if you could get rid of the gate model, which would you prefer:
  • check points that still have some persistent visual cue, like a decal you drive over (a la Mario Kart)
  • check points that only use a visual cue when they are active, like the swirling effect we currently play in the center of the active/next check point

As far as themed tracks go, what different models and themes would you like to see on the current, visible check points?
Kyosuke

Postby Icefall » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:49 pm

I don't mind the swirling notification of the active gate to reach, but sometimes the gate itself sticks out a bit if trying to set up a course with a particular visual appeal. Also there have been times I've run into and got stuck on the gate itself which is sometimes frustrating, but not the initial reason I brought up the concept.

With an invisible gate, you can also then use other field items to design your own gate if you so wanted. For example if you had a race around a bunch of the ruins and broken arches, you could set up an invisible gate checkpoint under one of the arches or set up pillars on either side of the checkpoint so the race looks more natural to the environment.

I do think with invisible checkpoints on some courses I would use more of them than if they were visible.

At the moment I'm just thinking of a checkpoint like the current ones with the swirling indicator only visible where the current gate is, but your mention of a Mario Kart style gate would be useful in some instances too.

As for themes in designing new checkpoints in general, like I mentioned above in the make your own example, a set of pillars and the gate number could be on the top of one of the pillars, or a checkpoint that matches some of the natural stone facades as well as perhaps a stone brick arch to match the stone racing track.
Icefall

Postby Kyosuke » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Sorry to leave you hanging on this. We discussed your model-less check gate proposal and have decided go forward with it. You can expect to have these available in the next release. :mrgreen:
Kyosuke

Postby Icefall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Awesome! I'll be looking forward to it ^_^
Icefall

Postby Tas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:39 am

A model-less check gate sounds very good to me too^^
Tas

Postby GoughGhan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:44 am

Tas wrote:A model-less check gate sounds very good to me too^^

Ditto on that.
The fish in my reef tank are plotting against me......

GoughGhan

Next

Return to Venue Builder