How bout a forum app and smartphone app?

For anything not covered by the other forums

How bout a forum app and smartphone app?

Postby GoughGhan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:43 pm

When I mean forum app there is a free add-on for a forum app on smartphones called Tapatalk, it's free from the forum admins, but a paid app for us smartphone users. Since you're using phpbb3 I linked it to that version.

I recommend that because I do have a smartphone like I'm sure many of us do, and it's a nice little forum app that a few of the forums I go to use. Hell of a lot better then trying to see the entire forum on your phones screen.

Also maybe an actual smartphone app, not to play the game, but to check rankings, leaderboards, see who's in-world, that kind of thing.

Think about it!
The fish in my reef tank are plotting against me......

GoughGhan

Re: How bout a forum app and smartphone app?

Postby MasterLulu » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

GoughGhan wrote:When I mean forum app there is a free add-on for a forum app on smartphones called Tapatalk, it's free from the forum admins, but a paid app for us smartphone users. Since you're using phpbb3 I linked it to that version.

I recommend that because I do have a smartphone like I'm sure many of us do, and it's a nice little forum app that a few of the forums I go to use. Hell of a lot better then trying to see the entire forum on your phones screen.

Also maybe an actual smartphone app, not to play the game, but to check rankings, leaderboards, see who's in-world, that kind of thing.

Think about it!

Great idea!
MasterLulu

Postby AnnaBanana » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:35 am

Hmmm...interesting idea GoughGhan. I will look into the forum app, how much was it for you to buy it?

The other app idea reminds me of the Disneyland App that tells you whats going on in the park that day! hehe...It's definitely a good idea but currently we are limited on resources as far as web development and building APIs so it might be a bit tough at the moment but we can pin it to the ever growing list!
AnnaBanana

Postby GoughGhan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 am

AnnaBanana wrote:Hmmm...interesting idea GoughGhan. I will look into the forum app, how much was it for you to buy it?

The other app idea reminds me of the Disneyland App that tells you whats going on in the park that day! hehe...It's definitely a good idea but currently we are limited on resources as far as web development and building APIs so it might be a bit tough at the moment but we can pin it to the ever growing list!

It's 2.99 for us smartphone users, oooor if you're crafty you can get it for free. (not saying how) That's what I did for the first 3 months, then I bought it, since I was using it so much.

I'd say I would do the other app pro bono, but I don't have SDK's for either OS version. So take your time on that one :)

GoughGhan

Postby Centronias » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:31 am

Regarding an app that could be a sort of window into the Xulu world:

We do currently have the ability to ask our servers what the top scores are for venues and information like that that's stored persistently and then post that information to a webpage on demand.
Would your needs be met if we made just such a part of the website where you could do just that (and make sure it's smartphone friendly)?

This is certainly how I would do it (and I would be the one doing it :roll: ) considering making an app on each platform is faaaaaaaaar more complicated than just spitting out some HTML that anything with a web browser could view.
[XULU] CENTRONIAS
Centronias

Postby GoughGhan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 am

Centronias wrote:Regarding an app that could be a sort of window into the Xulu world:

We do currently have the ability to ask our servers what the top scores are for venues and information like that that's stored persistently and then post that information to a webpage on demand.
Would your needs be met if we made just such a part of the website where you could do just that (and make sure it's smartphone friendly)?

This is certainly how I would do it (and I would be the one doing it :roll: ) considering making an app on each platform is faaaaaaaaar more complicated than just spitting out some HTML that anything with a web browser could view.

Actually yes, much better then my idea, and a lot less work as you said. Considering all you would need to do (since you already can do it) is transfer the leader-board packets from the DB and then convert it to HTML. I say go for it when you have time of course.

I have no issues making a bookmark on my phones homescreen pointing to the Xulu board info.

GoughGhan

Return to General Discussion